Friday, 19 July, second afternoon session: 16h-17h30
Deontic and modal logic: Part 1 (Nino Rotolo, Giovanni Sartor)
Themes covered in this session:
- Modal and deontic notions in the law
- Actions, permissions and obligations
- Basic deontic logic: Giovanni Sartor, Antonino Rotolo, slides I (link)
- Basic deontic logic: Giovanni Sartor, Antonino Rotolo, slides II (link)
- Basic deontic logic: Antonino Rotolo, exercises (link)
- Rotolo, A. and Sartor, G. (2018). Deductive and deontic reeasoning. In Bongio- vanni, G., Postema, G., Rotolo, A., Sartor, G., Valentini, C., and Walton, D., editors, Handbook of Legal Reasoning and Argumentation. Springer.
- Von Wright, G. H. (1951). Deontic logic. Mind, 60:1–15.
- Hilpinen, R. (2001). Deontic logic. In Goble, L., editor, The Blackwell Guide to Philosophical Logic, chapter 8, pages 159–82. Blackwell.